Saturday, January 7, 2012

No Bystanders Allowed

Last night I read The Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill and Laura Huliska-Beith. It's a book I've read many times to my classes and to my own children, yet I was moved by my daughter's comment that "This is a funny book!" Yes, it is funny and a very engaging story. The illustrations are large and colorful, and they add to the humor. The differences between Mean Jean, the Recess Queen and the tiny new girl, who stands up to the big bully, exaggerate the differences between meanness and kindness. And of course, the language is vivid, making the actions come alive for the reader.

As I thought about the book more, and my daughter's reaction, I wondered if she really got the point. The humor makes this a "safe" book for children to read because the pictures and exaggerations make it seem like bullies, such as Mean Jean, could never happen. Yet this book is a great opening for a discussion and one to connect with often. True, many kids have probably never met someone as mean as the Recess Queen, (thank goodness), but they've probably met children who have excluded others. They've probably witnessed a child making fun of someone else or watched one child who always needs to be the boss. While these might not be bullying situations, we need to teach children that it is not okay to act in ways that can hurt others. And I believe we also need to teach children to speak up when someone else is being hurt. When I read The Recess Queen last night, I was reminded that we need to teach our children not to be bystanders. We need to give them the words to help or to get help if they witness someone being hurt. It's not okay to stand by and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment